Bodegas Alvear '3 Miradas Vino de Pueblo' Pedro Ximénez, Montilla-Moriles, Spain
Founded in 1729, Bodegas Alvear is one the most prestigious and oldest family-run wineries in the world. It is the second oldest winery in Spain and the oldest in Andalucía.
- Variety: Pedro Ximénez
- Farming: Sustainable
- Terroir: The Pedro Ximénez comes from a combination of plots between the Riofrío Alto and Cerro Macho estates located in the Sierra de Montilla, considered the Grand Cru of Montilla-Moriles.The vines are over 50 years old, brush trained, and farmed sustainably, growing upon Albariza, soil composed mostly of limestone and soft maristone.
- Vinification: Once the fruit is harvested, it is directly pressed without maceration and fermented in tinajas, a traditional concrete amphora of 4800L.
- Aging: The wine ages under 'velo de flor' for eight months before bottling, giving it a sherry-esque flavor and texture.
- Tasting Notes: Preserved lemon, dried apricot, marcona almonds and salty, nutty finish.
- Scores: 92 Points, James Suckling. "A crisp dry white that has some nutty, oxidative complexity with a little praline, white chocolate and grilled almonds. Fresh and crisp palate and a nice, dry finish. Lovely, flor-like undertones to this, due to the fino sherry-like winemaking style. Drink now."
Focused on producing the finest wines in Andalucía from the Pedro Ximénez variety, the current 8th generation of the family upholds the tradition established by Diego de Alvear y Escalera several centuries ago. Although the variety Pedro Ximénez is commonly understood as the sweet wine from Jeréz (sherry), it is actually its own variety – believed to have been brought to Spain by a soldier of the Spanish tercios by the same name after his tour in the 16th century Eighty Years’ War. The vast majority of Pedro Ximénez plantings are located in D.O. Montilla-Moriles, a high altitude rolling terrain surrounding the city of Cordoba.
This historic bodega has successfully managed to combine and put into practice the extensive experience of a privileged land and a dedicated family in order to produce exceptional wines.
We Also Recommend
Mas Que Vinos 2021 'Los Conejos Malditos' Rosado, Tierra de Castilla, Spain
Paltrinieri 2020 'Piria' Lambrusco di Sorbara Brut, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Paltrinieri 2019 'Leclisse' Lambrusco di Sorbara Brut, Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Cascina Belmonte 2020 'Costellazioni' Chiaretto, Valtènesi, Veneto, Italy