Peay Vineyards 2013 Estate Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast, CA
Sale Sold out
Regular price $65.00
Regular priceUnit price per
- Winemaker: Vanessa Wong
- Farming: Organic certified
- Variety: Pinot Noir
- Terroir: 53-acre certified organic Peay Vineyards is perched on a hilltop in the far northwestern corner of Sonoma County approximately 4 miles from the cold Pacific Ocean near Sea Ranch along a channel formed by the Wheatfield Fork of the Gualala River which runs on top of the San Andreas Fault. That channel allows for fog in the evening – the marine layer - and copious cool air blowing off the Ocean in the afternoon penetrating inland and keeping temperatures at our vineyard consistently cool and moderate throughout the growing season.
- Vinification: Hand-harvested clusters picked by clonal block and ripeness, fermented separately, then blind tasted and blended. Up to 13 different pinot noir clones may be present in the Sonoma Coast pinot noir.
- Tasting Note: There is an exotic and heady floral and spice nose with musk, sandalwood, cardamom and cedar aromas. The wine is already quite cohesive with a focused progression from the front of the palate, where the fruit is featured, through the mid-palate, for texture, to the long and clean finish. There is a superb balance of fruit, earth, spice and floral notes. The acidity makes it energetic and not overly-weighed down or ponderous. On the finish, light tannins frame the wine and with 1-2 years more in bottle will soften and resolve. There is a lot of class and refinement at this price point.
- Scores: 93 points, Decanter "Peay Vineyards sits at the north end of the Sonoma Coast, low enough in the hills to be affected by blasts of fog from the ocean just 6km away. The focus here is on the estate vineyard, which produces 14ha of exemplary Pinot Noir. Made almost entirely from the estate, this is a wine with a sense of place: cherry fruit purity combines with bramble and pine, plus fine acidity and a long, bright finish."