Corteforte 2018 Valpolicella Ripasso Classico Superiore, Veneto, Italy
Sale Sold out
Regular price $34.00
Regular priceUnit price per
Since 1990, Carlo Maria Cerutti has tended the three hectares of hillside vineyards surrounding his 17th-century farmhouse, once the medieval fortress Corteforte, in the town of Osan, in the Veneto. From his tiny production of indigenous grapes — Corvina, Corvinone, Rondinella, and Molinara — he creates Valpolicella and Amarone of particular intensity and elegance. Bold and full of fruit and earth as tradition demands, yet focused and food-friendly, these are wines built to savor with your richest fare.
- Farming: Organic
- Winemaker: Carlo Maria Cerutti
- Varieties: 70% Corvina + Corvinone, 20% Rondinella, and 10% Molinara
- Vinification: The grapes, which are selected in a double harvest to achieve the best possible ripeness, are immediately de-stemmed and crushed. Fermentation takes place in small stainless steel vats and is conducted until all of the sugars have been converted to alcohol with frequent pumping over to maximize the extraction of color and flavor. In April following the harvest, the wine undergoes a re-fermentation on the lees of the Amarone where it acquires greater aroma, color, and body. This technique, characteristic of the best wines of Valpolicella, is named Ripasso, literally “going over”. Valpolicella Ripasso Classico Superiore is a wine with high extracts, alcohol, and longevity.
- Terroir: Vineyard has Southwestern exposure at an altitude of 150 to 300 meters, soil calcareous on basalt subsoil.
- Aging: French oak barrel for 6 - 8 months, then 6 months in bottle before release.
- Notes: Clean scent of wild fruits, sour cherries and plums, with a light spicy taste of leather and pepper.
- Serve with: Grilled, braised or stewed red meats, game, seasoned and strong flavored cheeses.