David Duband 2019 Chambolle-Musigny 'Gruenchers' 1er Cru, Burgundy, France
The quality of David Duband’s wines has steadily advanced since he took over his family’s domaine in 1991. In 1999 he began the move away from conventional farming and became completely certified organic in 2006. In 2005, his friend and business partner, François Feuillet, managed to buy vineyards from Jacky Truchot, which included privileged old-vine parcels in the Grand Crus, Clos de la Roche and Charmes-Chambertin.
* Winemaker: David Duband
* Farming: Organic (certified)
* Variety: Pinot Noir
* Terroir:his wine is one of Chambolle’s greatest examples of femininity and reserved strength. If you’ve not yet tasted Gruenchers, you’ve missed one of the quiet champions of any vignerons’ range who is lucky enough to have a piece. It’s location is one of priveledge just below two of the great upper slope 1er Crus, Les Fuées and Les Cras, next to the Grand Cru Les Bonnes Mares. It’s also within the dejection cone of combe behind the village to the west, which has clearly left a shallow topsoil with broken up small rocks.
* Vinification: Hand-harvested and sorted, with up to 80% whole cluster fermentation.
* Aging: 40% New French Oak, 60% neutral 225l French barrels for 14 months. Bottled unfined and unfiltered.
* Tasting Note: Raspberry and pepper with a silky finish