David Duband 2019 Morey Saint Denis Rouge, Burgundy, France
The quality of David Duband’s wines has steadily advanced since he took over his family’s domaine in 1991. In 1999 he began the move away from conventional farming and became completely certified organic in 2006. In 2005, his friend and business partner, François Feuillet, managed to buy vineyards from Jacky Truchot, which included privileged old-vine parcels in the Grand Crus, Clos de la Roche and Charmes-Chambertin.
* Winemaker: David Duband
* Farming: Organic (certified)
* Variety: Pinot Noir
* Terroir: The mix of vineyards is Les Porrroux which borders Chambolle-Musigny and just below the 1er Cru La Bussières, and the village lieu-dit Clos des Ormes which borders 1er Clos des Ormes (yes same name but higher classification) as well as Aux Cheseaux, Les Cognées and Les Brâs, both east of the RN74.
* Vinification: Hand-harvested and sorted, with up to 40% whole cluster fermentation.
* Aging: 30% New French Oak, 70% neutral 225l French barrels for 14 months. Bottled unfined and unfiltered.
* Tasting Note: This wine is savory, earthy and exotic on the nose with a palate of sleek chalky/sandy texture and finely delineated acidic and tannic structure. The wine is straight, focused and serious, a stellar achievement for a village wine from this appellation. A very well balanced MSD Village wine that captures the broad essence of this mighty commune.
We Also Recommend
Mas Que Vinos 2021 'Los Conejos Malditos' Rosado, Tierra de Castilla, Spain