Domaine Guiberteau 2018 'Brézé' Saumur Blanc, Loire Valley, France
Romain Guiberteau owns some of the best land in Brézé, and makes dry chenins of punk rock violence, yet of Bach-like logic and profoundness. He is creating quite a stir. —Becky Wasserman
- Winemaker: Romain Guiberteau
- Farming: Organic
- Variety: Chenin Blanc, 60-80yo vines
- Terroir: Hill of Brézé- South, southwest, sandy loam topsoil over limestone
- Vinification: Grapes are harvested by hand and carefully sorted in the vineyard. Whole-cluster pressing, indigenous yeast fermentation, small addition of S02 at press. 50% Stainless, 50% neutral oak. ML blocked with S02.
- Aging: 24 months in neutral oak, 40-50% New French Oak on lees. 6 mos aging in stainless steel. Lightly filtered, no fining.
The domaine is 9.4 hectares (under plantation, there is 12 hectares total), 7 of which are located in the great terroir of Brézé. A little more than half of the surface is planted to Chenin with the remainder planted to Cabernet Franc. Age of vines varies between 4 and 80 years old, with a hefty proportion of old vines. In 2000, Romain converted the vineyards to organic management and in 2003 he began the process towards the AB organic certification, obtaining it in 2007.
In only a few years, Domaine Guiberteau has become one of the most sought after domaines in Saumur, their wines already stringently allocated and found in the best restaurants in France.