Domaine Guiberteau 2019 'Clos de Guichaux' (monopole) Saumur Blanc, Loire Valley, France
Romain Guiberteau owns some of the best land in Brézé, and makes dry chenins of punk rock violence, yet of Bach-like logic and profoundness. He is creating quite a stir. —Becky Wasserman
- Winemaker: Romain Guiberteau
- Farming: Organic
- Variety: Chenin Blanc, 16 year old vines.
- Terroir: Commune of Bizay, Tuffeau limestone.
- Vinification: Grapes are harvested by hand and carefully sorted in the vineyard. Whole-cluster pressing, SO2 at press, indigenous yeast fermentation in demi-muid in 100% barrel fermentation. SO2 to block Malolactic fermentation.
- Aging: Aged 18mos on the lees, 12mos in 1200L barrels, then 6mos in steel. Lightly filtered, no fining.
The domaine is 9.4 hectares (under plantation, there is 12 hectares total), 7 of which are located in the great terroir of Brézé. A little more than half of the surface is planted to Chenin with the remainder planted to Cabernet Franc. Age of vines varies between 4 and 80 years old, with a hefty proportion of old vines. In 2000, Romain converted the vineyards to organic management and in 2003 he began the process towards the AB organic certification, obtaining it in 2007.
In only a few years, Domaine Guiberteau has become one of the most sought after domaines in Saumur, their wines already stringently allocated and found in the best restaurants in France.