Domaine Guiberteau 2019 'Les Chapaudaises' Saumur Rouge, Loire Valley, France
Romain Guiberteau owns some of the best land in Brézé, and makes dry chenins of punk rock violence, yet of Bach-like logic and profoundness. He is creating quite a stir. —Becky Wasserman
- Winemaker: Romain Guiberteau
- Farming: Organic
- Variety: Cabernet Franc, old vines 50yo+
- Terroir: 2ha in Bizay, planted in 1948, 3 select parcels with silt and sand topsoils covering softer limestone and tuffeau bedrock.
- Vinification: Grapes are harvested by hand and carefully sorted in the vineyard. 100% de-stemmed, indigenous yeast fermentation in cement tanks.
- Aging: Aged for 12 months in new French wooden 45hl conical vats,then aged 6 months in stainless steel, light filtration before bottling.
The domaine is 9.4 hectares (under plantation, there is 12 hectares total), 7 of which are located in the great terroir of Brézé. A little more than half of the surface is planted to Chenin with the remainder planted to Cabernet Franc. Age of vines varies between 4 and 80 years old, with a hefty proportion of old vines. In 2000, Romain converted the vineyards to organic management and in 2003 he began the process towards the AB organic certification, obtaining it in 2007.
In only a few years, Domaine Guiberteau has become one of the most sought after domaines in Saumur, their wines already stringently allocated and found in the best restaurants in France.