Domaine Nerantzi 2020 Malagousia, Serres, Greece
Domaine Nerantzi is a new and exciting organic producer near the border of Macedonia and Thrace in northern Greece. Nerantzi Mitropoulos is an earnest, imposing and gregarious personality whose made it his life’s mission to uncover indigenous varieties lost to the world at large and bring them back to the fore. He believes in a kind of locavore approach to wine making, whether it be the use of long‐lost indigenous varieties, spontaneous yeast fermentation propagated via the native yeasts from their vineyards, or even the use of local, Balkan oak for their cooperage. Their main desire is to have their wines express what is unique to their region and share it with the world.
- Winemaker: Nerantzi & Eva Mitropoulos
- Farming: Organic
- Variety: 100% Malagouzia (Pronounced "mah lah gou ZYA")
- Terroir: 11 hectares of vineyards in Northern Greece along the foothills of Mount Menoikio. Sandy loam and Clay/limestone mix, 130-150m above sea level.
- Vinification: Handpicked and fermented with native yeasts in steel.
- Aging: Stainless steel tanks with minimal sulfur
- Tasting Note: Intense stone fruit (ripe peaches, dried apricot), tarragon, brigth white flowers
We Also Recommend
Bethel Heights Vineyard 2016 Estate Pinot Noir, Eola-Amity Hills, Willamette Valley, OR, USA [375ml Half Bottle]