FitaPreta A Touriga Vai Nua 2020, Alentejo, Portugal
A Touriga Vai Nua, or “The Touriga Goes Naked,” is one playful example of António's skill: he takes the “typical” warmth and ripeness of Alentejo fruit and creates a completely novel expression out of Portugal’s king of grapes,Touriga Naçional.
Fitapreta is António Maçanita’s estate near the ancient Roman city of Evora, located in the rolling hills of Alentejo. Since its inception in 2004, Fitapreta has pushed the boundaries of what fine winemaking can be in this region, and over the last two decades, the estate has become a benchmark for the New Portugal, earning Antonio international accolades like Winemaker of the Year, Most Unique Winemaker, and Winemaker of the Generation. Maçanita works only with indigenous varieties and showcases his estate’s terroir through exacting work: farming organically without irrigation, harvesting by hand at night, deliberate bunch sorting in the winery, and native yeast fermentation.
- Winemaker: António Maçanita
- Farming: Organic
- Variety: 100% Touriga Naçional.
- Terroir: Average 30-year-old vines tended in schist rocky soil at 300-400 m (984 -1,312 ft) elevation.
- Vinification: 30-day maceration with spontaneous wild yeast fermentation. Cold stabilized, and racked to stainless steel for 3 months. Bottled unfined and unfiltered.
- Tasting Note: Dark purple. On the nose, fresh boysenberry, blackberry, plum and blueberry are commingled with a ferrous mineral note and wild notes of beef blood, anise and rose petals. On the palate, intense and lush, but light on its feet. The blue and black fruit are framed beautifully by fresh flowers and slate-tinged mineral. Finishes long, with a whiff of white pepper.