Julien Sunier 2020 Morgon, Beaujolais, France
Dijon born surfer turned Cru Beaujolais, natural wine champion, Julien has extensive experience working for notable organic and biodynamic estates in Burgundy (Christophe Roumier), New Zealand, California, and 2018 marks his 10th year farming his own organic vineyards. Vintage in and vintage out his wines are deft, clean, and clearly express site with a captivating transparency.
- Winemaker: Julien Sunier
- Varieties: Gamay
- Farming: Organic (certified), natural
- Terroir: From the lieu-dits of "Corcelette", "Py", "Charme", and "En Oeillat". Mostly decomposing granite, pink granite and clay soil with sand between 280-420m elevation with a south/south-east exposure.
- Vinification: Gravity tanked, indigenous yeasts, without SO2, Carbonic maceration (whole grapes fermented in anaerobic) for 10 days and then semi-carbonic for 10 days, manual raking, old-fashioned pressing with vertical press.
Indigenous yeast fermentations in concrete vats at low temperatures, to preserve fresh fruit flavors and a delicate tannic structure. Fruit is slowly pressed after fermentation using an ancient vertical press Julien acquired in the Côte D’Or.
- Aging: 100% 228 liters oak barrels (about 10 wines old) for 9-11 months. Bottled unfiltered with a low addition of sulfites.
- Tasting Notes: black cherries and spices; the pallet is ample possessing beautiful silky tannins. To prolong the pleasure, a few years of care and ageing will be welcome.
We Also Recommend
Mas Que Vinos 2021 'Los Conejos Malditos' Rosado, Tierra de Castilla, Spain