Moussé Fils MV 'L'Extra Or' Late-Desgorged Blanc de Noirs, Champagne, France
Moussé Fils MV 'L'Extra Or' Late-Disgorged Perpetuelle Blanc de Noirs Champagne, France
A grower since 1750, Champagne Moussé sits in the village of Cuisles, in a valley perpendicular to the Vallée de la Marne. This side valley has a unique soil in Champagne: a schist subsoil under clay. While Pinot Meunier often struggles to be taken seriously in Champagne, at Moussé, Pinot Meunier is celebrated. 80% of the vines planted are Meunier, with the balance planted to Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.
- Winemaker: Cédric Moussé
- Farming: Organic
- Variety: 80% Meunier, 20% Pinot Noir
- Terroir: Villages of Cuisles, Jonquery, Olizy, Châtillon-sur-Marne in Vallee de la Marne
- Vinification: Hand-harvested. A perpetual reserve is different than a solera. To make it simple, you can imagine 2 barrels. 1 full and 1 empty. You transfer half of the full one in the empty, so both are at 50%. Then, you add 50% of the new harvest in each one. You’ll bottle one of the tank, and you keep the other one to star again the next year! Cedric uses this method to strike a masterful balance between the freshness of the new vintage with the complexity and depth only “old wines” can bring.
- Aging: 48 months in stainless steel (This starts as the cuvee L'Or d'Eugène, but then aged for an additional two years on the lees. )
- Scores: 92 Points, Parker: The latest release of Moussé's NV Extra-Brut L'Extra Or Dégorgement Tardif was disgorged in December 2017 with only one gram per liter dosage. It's based on the 2013 vintage, complemented by 50% of wine taken from a perpetual reserve that was started in 2003. The wine is showing brilliantly, wafting from the glass with aromas of toasted brioche, ripe yellow orchard fruit, honeycomb, praline and woodsmoke. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, fleshy but incisive, displaying terrific depth and tension, a delicate low-pressure mousse and a long, sapid finish. This is a super, characterful Champagne that is well worth the effort to seek out. 2020-04-30