Seabold Cellars 2019 Mourvédre, Rodnick Farm, Chalone, Monterey Co., CA
Sale Sold out
Regular price $50.00
Regular priceUnit price per
Established in 2014 by MS Chris Miller and winemaker Peter Figge, Seabold was founded with the focus of cool-climate wines made as hands-off and traditionally as possible.
Seabold Cellars was established in the Monterey Bay region because cool-climate organic and sustainable vineyards produce balanced wines that showcase their origin more than their winemaking. The approach is as hands-off as possible, respecting traditional techniques and practices without being beholden to them. They produce non-interventionist, site-specific Burgundy and Rhône varieties, as seen through a California lens.
- Winemaker: Chris Miller, Peter Figge
Varieties: Mourvedre, 30+ Year Old Vines
- Farming: Organic
- Terroir: Chalone AVA. Limestone, granite, volcanic soils. Sitting on the western slopes of the Gabilan Mountains, the elevations range from 1600’-1900’, creating a complex topography and
extreme diurnal shifts.
- Vinification: Hand-harvested at night. Upon entering the winery, the grapes were hand-sorted - retaining 100% whole clusters -and placed in a 2-ton lagar. Bunches were foot-stomped to encourage native yeast fermentation, then pumped over twice daily.
- Aging: 18 months in neutral puncheons. Bottled unfined and unfiltered. 142 cases produced.
- Tasting Notes: Fresh and light, with a very appealing red berry fruit character when first opened, the wine becomes more and more serious with aeration. The palate begins to display a telltale savory and smoked meat character, and the structure shows this one is built for the long haul.