Tablas Creek Vineyard 2018 'Espirit de Tablas' Rouge, Adelaida District, Paso Robles, CA, USA [375ml Half Bottle]
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Tablas Creek Vineyard 2018 'Espirit de Tablas' Rouge, Adelaida District, Paso Robles, CA, USA
- Winemaker: Neil Collins
- Farming: Organic (certified since 2003)
- Variety: 40% Mourvedre, 27% Syrah, 23% Grenache, 10% Counoise
- Terroir: Tablas Creek’s limestone-rich 120-acre organic estate vineyard is located in the heart of the Adelaida District, in the hills north and west of Paso Robles, about 11 miles from the Pacific Ocean. This blend ischosen from the best lots of four estate-grown varietals propagated from budwood cuttings from the Château de Beaucastel estate
- Vinification: Each lot is fermented separately. Red grapes (Mourvèdre, Syrah, Grenache Noir, and Counoise) are sorted and destemmed after harvest, and the juice and whole berries moved to a mix of open-top stainless steel, closed stainless steel, and 1600-gallon oak upright fermenters. During fermentation, the must is pumped over or punched down, or the cap submerged into the fermenting juice, twice a day. About 10 days after fermentation begins, the red wines are pressed, then moved to barrel to complete their primary and secondary fermentations.
- Aging: 1200-gallon French oak foudres and aged for an additional year.
- Tasting Note: A deep brooding Mourvèdre nose of loamy redcurrant and roasted meats, new leather and black plum. The mouth shows spicy licorice and nutmeg lift over baked plums and Mourvèdre's signature plum skin tannin maintaining balance with the wine's mouth-coating texture. The long, richly tannic finish, with lingering flavors of wood smoke, roasted meat, and crushed rock, promises more rewards to come with cellar aging. We recommend that you drink either between now and 2023 or again starting in 2026 any time over the subsequent two decades.
- Scores: 96 points, Vinous - "Deep, shimmering ruby. Intensely perfumed raspberry, boysenberry, baking spice and lavender scents show outstanding clarity and mineral lift. Stains the palate with lively red/blue fruit, spice-cake and floral pastille flavors that steadily deepen through the midpalate, with no loss of energy. Clings with noteworthy tenacity on an impressively long, energetic finish that features harmonious tannins and resonating floral and mineral notes.”