Tatomer 2018 Pinot Noir, Edna Valley, San Luis Obispo Co., CA, USA
Shipping calculated at checkout.
Tatomer 2018 Pinot Noir, Edna Valley, California, USA
- Farming: Sustainable with Organic and Biodynamic Practices
- Winemaker: Graham Tatomer
- Varieties: 100% Pinot Noir
- Terroir: Vineyards around Edna Valley, just south of San Luis Obispo.
- Vinification: This Pinot Noir is a blend of multiple clones and vineyards. Each clone is harvested separately and fermented in small batches. Graham is a fan of whole-cluster fermentation due to the aromatic lift and palate feel it gives, so about 30% of the wine was fermented this way.
- Aging: All lots were aged for 12 months in neutral French oak, bottled unfined and unfiltered.
- Tasting Note: This medium-bodied Pinot Noir has expressive and bright red fruits on the palate, red plum skins, crunchy red cherries, hints of vanilla and an earthy, graphite and eucalyptus finish.
Somewhat under the radar, Graham Tatomer’s wines are some of California’s best for Riesling and Gruner Veltliner. Somms like Cara and Simi have often been duped into calling these wines Austrian in blind tastings because Graham’s handle on nuance and terroir is deep. His love affair with wine began in high school, with a gig at Santa Barbara Winery. At first, it was just about the money; but over time, Graham was introduced to the Lafond Winery and its vineyard, home to the oldest Riesling plantings in the Central Coast. He quickly fell in love and decided to take himself abroad to learn more.
A harvest internship in 2003 was the beginning of a four-year engagement with the Austrian house Weingut Knoll. Importantly, he balanced this with time in Santa Barbara, working alongside Adam Tolmach of Ojai Vineyard. In 2008, Graham set out to create his own winery, which today makes some of the Central Coast’s purest expressions of terroir. Rather than highly manipulating his wines, Graham’s wines are crafted with a light touch, meant to be portraits of the soils and climates they come from.
We Also Recommend
Mas Que Vinos "Los Conejos Malditos" 2018 Tempranillo Carbonico, Tierra de Castilla, Spain
Regular price $1500 $15.00
Las Jaras Wines 2019 Glou Glou Red, Mendocino Co, California, USA
Regular price $3400 $34.00