Vina Progresso 2018 Old Vine Tannat, Progresso, Uruguay
Gabriel Pisano worked at Ramey and Mas Doix
Viña Progreso is a project from 4th generation winemaker, Gabriel Pisano. Gabriel was born in the vineyard, and his personality is that of an explorer. After studying oenology at Uruguayan Vine & Wine School, Gabriel traveled the world learning to make with with world famous winemakers in the famed regions of Sonoma, California at Ramey Wine Cellars; in Priorat, Spain at Maix Doix and Apalta, Chile.
- Winemaker: Gabriel Pisano
- Farming: Biodynamic
- Varieties: Tannat
- Terroir: Progreso, Uruguay has a maritime climate with clay and limestone soil s.
- Vinification: The must is macerated cold at 10-12 Celsius in stainless steel tanks during 4-6 days to obtain fruity aromas and flavours. Some lots remain with their native yeasts while others are sown with selected yeast to enhance desired characteristics. Following, fermentation occurs with temperature control during 20 days with long maceration and skin contact. During this period, the wine is pumped over (remontage) and punched down (pigeage) by hand in small stainless steel tanks.
- Aging: 12-18 months in 60% new and 40% second use barrels from Burgundy.
- Tasting Note: deep, complex, elegant. Exquisite and well defined spices, coffee, tobacco, and notes of toasted oak, in a perfect blend. FLAVOUR: Superb. Enormously deep and complex. Aristocratic and of strong tannic race. Delicious structure and acidity of notable life. Dense, powerful, with layers of plum and very ripe black cherry, which balances with the slight acidity of wild blackberry and the smoky note of toasted oak.
We Also Recommend
Mas Que Vinos 2021 'Los Conejos Malditos' Rosado, Tierra de Castilla, Spain