Domaine Guiberteau 2018 'Les Arboises' (monopole) Saumur Rouge, Loire Valley, France
Romain Guiberteau owns some of the best land in Brézé, and makes dry chenins of punk rock violence, yet of Bach-like logic and profoundness. He is creating quite a stir. —Becky Wasserman
- Winemaker: Romain Guiberteau
- Farming: Organic
- Variety: Cabernet Franc, old vines 60yo+
- Terroir: 1ha in Brézé, acing south, sand and silt topsoils over limestone bedrock, planted in 1957.
- Vinification: Grapes are harvested by hand and carefully sorted in the vineyard. 100% de-stemmed, 10 days to 4 weeks maceration in concrete tanks, indigenous yeast fermentation.
- Aging: Aged for 18 months in barrel (80% new, 20% 1-year-old) ,then aged 6 months in stainless steel, light filtration before bottling.
The domaine is 9.4 hectares (under plantation, there is 12 hectares total), 7 of which are located in the great terroir of Brézé. A little more than half of the surface is planted to Chenin with the remainder planted to Cabernet Franc. Age of vines varies between 4 and 80 years old, with a hefty proportion of old vines. In 2000, Romain converted the vineyards to organic management and in 2003 he began the process towards the AB organic certification, obtaining it in 2007.
In only a few years, Domaine Guiberteau has become one of the most sought after domaines in Saumur, their wines already stringently allocated and found in the best restaurants in France.